Author Topic: Home built sheet metal brake<> Got to try it out<>  (Read 3663 times)

wowens

• View Profile
Re: Home built sheet metal brake
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
Building one off your pics, thanks for the post.
Woody

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
I got to try out my sheet metal brake. I am making some changes to my '65 Mustang which made it necessary to move the radiator cooling fans so I made a new fan shroud. It actually worked pretty decent. That .080" aluminum was harder to bend than I thought it would be but the brake handled it ok. The really scary part was my shroud actually fit the first time! Overall I am pretty happy with the results. It was all really close but it fit.   

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 07:56:55 AM »
I got to try out my sheet metal brake. I am making some changes to my '65 Mustang....

Did you forget to mention that you switched to a Lima engine? Are you giving up on the FE in the Mustang, Alan?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »
I got to try out my sheet metal brake. I am making some changes to my '65 Mustang....

Did you forget to mention that you switched to a Lima engine? Are you giving up on the FE in the Mustang, Alan?
Yeah I am putting the 520 I had in my Galaxie in it. Sorry to say it became an economic reality for me to make the swap. After damaging my 427 again I was faced with having to at the least get another new crankshaft and maybe two rods or a new rotating assembly. Plus I still hadn't found anything inside my FE C6 that would have caused it to push the crankshaft forward with enough force to ruin the thrust surface of the crank so I no longer trusted any of it and was looking at having to replace all that too. All the while there was my 520 all freshened up sitting on the floor along with a proven C6. Since I decided to retire the Galaxie from race duty so I really had no where to put it so economically it just made sense. I have found that this hobby is expensive enough without trying to maintain multiple engine platforms.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:49:00 AM by AlanCasida »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: Home built sheet metal brake<> Got to try it out<>
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »
in these trying times , we have to do what we have to do . just keep going and don't give up .

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 01:18:16 AM »
That's a bummer, but I certainly understand your reasoning. Your 520 has certainly proven itself!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

winr1

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:27 AM »
Nice job on the bender and shroud Alan

Are the square black pieces flaps to let air through ??

.... ( send me the 427 block, will put it to good use )   ^_^

Ricky.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
Nice job on the bender and shroud Alan

Are the square black pieces flaps to let air through ??

.... ( send me the 427 block, will put it to good use )   ^_^

Ricky.

Yes they are for air flow. I guess they are there for going down the highway if the air flow becomes too great to pass through the fans. The other one I had had them so I just put them in to be on the safe side.