Author Topic: Camshaft regrinding, a few questions  (Read 799 times)

OldMil

• View Profile
Camshaft regrinding, a few questions
« on: June 23, 2023, 08:56:10 AM »
I am rebuilding my 1968 428CJ motor to stock specs, except .030 overbore.  Given all of the issues that everyone is having with modern camshaft meltdowns, I was thinking of using the original camshaft and having it reground.  I understand the principals of regrinding.  My questions:
(1) I have the original non-adjusting rockers.  Options are adjustable push rods or shaving the heads (which will be resurfaced to a degree anyway).  Looking for opinions from experience.
(2) Rather than a regrind, is there a good camshaft out there for my CJ that I can be comfortable with?  I've destroyed lobes in the past and want to avoid that adventure).  Not looking for severe duty (but once and a while you get the itch)
(3) Any other considerations?
Thanks, Jack

482supersnake

• View Profile
Re: Camshaft regrinding, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 09:07:24 AM »
From what I've read this isn't just the camshaft. Someone said that the new lifters are slightly larger in diameter than the originals and aren't spinning properly in the lifter bores. So when rebuilding the engine it is important to check the lifter bore clearance.

OldMil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 11:14:35 AM »
I bought OEM NOS lifters, but will compare to the old lifters, Thanks!

winr1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »
I have no answer but a question if I may, asked in another thread but got no answer ( hi jacked it )

Re ground cam gets smaller on the flank and nose but retains the original specs ??

If so, can you still use non adjusting rockers and get longer pushrods ??

Ricky.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 12:54:52 PM »
If so, can you still use non adjusting rockers and get longer pushrods ??

Basically, YES!    :)

But, it actually based on the camshafts' "base-circle", not nose & flanks.   ;)

Scott.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 03:30:41 PM »
Oregon Cams can do the 428CJ grind.
OR, I have run the Crower 270HDP & it idles & runs like a 428CJ.
Specs are very close at 210-220-112 vs the 428Cj specs of 207-221-116 LSA.

Unless you have a very trusted regrinder, and you also have to trust their surfacing & heat treating & lifter compatibility, etc.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 08:27:30 PM »
+1 on Oregon .  They do nice work and quick turn around.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 07:12:09 AM »
Howards make a cam they claim to be a near duplicate of the CJ cam.

I haven't used it though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-257711-15#overview
Robert

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 12:54:47 PM »
I think the vast majority of cam failures that you read about are caused by or are due to problems other than the cam itself.  Wrong valve spring rates, bad geometry, break-in oil, contamination, etc.  Most internet warrior engine builders don't know the first thing about root cause analysis and it is much easier to blame the cam manufacturer than get to the actual root cause (or admit you f-ed up to the whole wide world). 

I would not be afraid of any of the name brand cam manufacturers.  I have had good luck with Elgin, Howards, and Comp in a wide variety of engines.  However, do the math.  Just because Comp says to use Valve Spring XYZ, that may not be correct.  They have very general recommendations that are based on much better selling engine platforms than the FE (I.E. SBC, LS, Windsor V8, etc), that may have very different geometry considerations. 

On the other hand, I had Oregon Cam Grinders regrind the cam for my 7.3L IDIT (try getting Comp to make you a cam for that particular engine...).  They did a great job, and the cam works great, and the engine runs great with it.  I have no trouble recommending them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 12:58:57 PM by FrozenMerc »

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2023, 02:01:39 PM »
to be safe would it make sense to run roller lifters on a flat tappet cam?
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Fordman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2023, 02:06:05 PM »
I have had an NOS stock replacement 428cj cam on the shelf for at least 15 years ground by Colt cams in Vancouver, bc. I would sell it if your interested.  Email me at classics4everyone(at)yahoo.ca

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2023, 02:33:10 PM »
to be safe would it make sense to run roller lifters on a flat tappet cam?

Can't be done.  There is a taper on the lobe for the purpose of spinning the lifter on a convex lifter face as the lifter rises and falls.  If you put a roller lifter on a flat tappet cam, only a fraction of the roller surface would ride on the lobe and it would quickly destroy the lobe and itself.  Even if the cam was ground with a flat lobe, using a roller lifter there doesn't take advantage of a roller lifters ability to tolerate fast opening and closing events.