Author Topic: Installing a Holley Sniper Stealth EFI - I've got questions  (Read 5492 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Re: Installing a Holley Sniper Stealth EFI - I've got questions
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 12:01:21 PM »
I recently installed an AFR gauge and welded in a bung on my exhaust. Do I need a AFR gauge now with the EFI? If not I'd like to use my existing bung?

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »
Looking at making a bracket for the pump and filters. When they say to mount the pump below the tank. Is that complete below or would the pump connection centerline be low enough when mounted horizontally? I don’t want it hanging lower than necessary. This is my proposed arrangement.

Thanks!
Doug Bender

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2020, 02:33:20 PM »
I recently installed an AFR gauge and welded in a bung on my exhaust. Do I need a AFR gauge now with the EFI? If not I'd like to use my existing bung?

Thanks,

The Sniper wide-band O2 sensor can use the bung, and will report on the handheld controller what your AFR is.  No need for an independent meter.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 03:36:46 PM »
I used a in tank unit on mine but I wouldn't let yours hang down on the bracket as it might vibrate and make to much noise and aerate the fuel.
I would mount it on the frame rail by the rear spring hanger for a solid mount.
It should be OK mounted there, if it is still to high you could make a 1/4 inch solid bracket and hang it down from the frame rail and mount the pump to it.
Greg

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 05:41:42 PM »
Just read this.
No I couldn’t care if someone uses FI or carb to be honest.
I only get annoyed that manufacturers advertise FI as as “plug and play”
Sure seems like a fair amount of work and planning go into the system.

Good luck

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
Drew, as I said above, I've installed a number of Holley EFIs. Most of the work centers on the installation of the lines. When I did the dual-quad installation mentioned, I ultimately had to replace the injectors themselves, to get within the range of adjustment necessary. But the work was quite simple in itself.

KS

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »
Nice documentation. Which route did you take to the tank for your return line? Parallel with the supply or other?

Thanks,

Yes I just went as parallel as possible. I soldered my return into the sender unit....it was just a piece of 1/2" copper pipe.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
Looking at making a bracket for the pump and filters. When they say to mount the pump below the tank. Is that complete below or would the pump connection centerline be low enough when mounted horizontally? I don’t want it hanging lower than necessary. This is my proposed arrangement.

Thanks!

We made a bracket similar to this for the cougar's holley pump. The vibration resonated through the trunk and into the car bad enough that we built about 3 iterations of the bracket. What ended up working pretty well is we got some thick rubber and ran it the length of the bracket. So there was an angle bracket mounted to the floor pan, rubber bolted onto the angle bracket, and the flat piece that had the pump and filter mounted to it bolted to the bottom of the rubber strip.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
The light in my head just went off. Is there any reason why I could not use the tank drain as a return line? It's a 1/4 NPT or SAE I think. I could just put a fitting in there. Down the road if I like the EFI I can upgrade components as I go. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Doug Bender

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
My answer is yes you can.. there are guys who say there cannot be head pressure at the return (meaning weight of the fuel).  I am not one of them.  In fact, it's going to exist with a second port in the sender to some extent.  Also, even if the light restriction of pushing fuel back into the tank was noticeable, you are bleeding off pressure above 60 lbs per square inch or so or so, so the minor pressure back should not affect the regulator.

I do try to drop the return fuel into the tank if I can, but sometimes you just can't.  If it's easy, go for it
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
My answer is yes you can.. there are guys who say there cannot be head pressure at the return (meaning weight of the fuel).  I am not one of them.  In fact, it's going to exist with a second port in the sender to some extent.  Also, even if the light restriction of pushing fuel back into the tank was noticeable, you are bleeding off pressure above 60 lbs per square inch or so or so, so the minor pressure back should not affect the regulator.

I do try to drop the return fuel into the tank if I can, but sometimes you just can't.  If it's easy, go for it

That was my thought. Instead of spending $200+ on a sending unit with a return fitting and to the left about 16 inches on the same horizontal plane there is a fitting, why not?
Doug Bender

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 06:14:57 PM »

A lot of OEM installations return fuel from the engine to the tank below the fuel level - it keeps from mixing air into the fuel (more important on diesel, but has more impact now that a lot of gas engines are running returnless).

The only thing that matters is that it's free flowing enough that the regulator and keep control of the pressure. So if you return to the drain fitting and the fuel pressure is steady...good to go!

I prefer it when I can do it that way myself.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »

Thanks!

We made a bracket similar to this for the cougar's holley pump. The vibration resonated through the trunk and into the car bad enough that we built about 3 iterations of the bracket. What ended up working pretty well is we got some thick rubber and ran it the length of the bracket. So there was an angle bracket mounted to the floor pan, rubber bolted onto the angle bracket, and the flat piece that had the pump and filter mounted to it bolted to the bottom of the rubber strip.
So was the rubber sandwiched between your bracket and mounting plate?
Thanks!
Doug Bender

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »
Figured I'd draw it to make it easier to explain. This dampened the sound from resonating into the car pretty well.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
On the Colony Park, I am using EFI from MSD. It is set up with a return line. Being my car had California Emissions there was an extra line going back to the tank with the charcoal canister. It was plumbed in through an extra hole in the sending unit. Even though the sender is at the top of the tank, it leaked around there and I could smell gas in the car. I pulled the sender and got rid of the fitting. I used some 5/16 brake line that ran parallel with the pick up. To seal it up, I used silver solder. Apply the flux paste, heated it and the solder flowed right in. All this was very quick. Can't take too long because the plastic insulator for the gauge would melt. It came out good, no more leaks. I didn't take any pictures of the finished sender with the return tube.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O