Author Topic: Installing the FE in a car  (Read 7806 times)

garyv

• View Profile
Re: Installing the FE in a car
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 08:51:02 AM »
Where are most of you guys attaching your lifting chains or straps?
On the exhaust manifold bolts, intake or front of the heads. I see in a few pics it
looks like only 2 or 3 attachment points but hard to tell from the pics.
I think Ford used the exhaust manifold bolts in the factory.
I am thinking of using the exhaust manifolds with 2 on either side front and rear so I
can tilt the engine.
What you guys think?
garyv
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:48:27 AM by garyv »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
Any 3/8 bolt I can find

Typically front and rear of one head, but not against an longer intake manifold bolt threaded in all the way either.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Paulie I used to do it your way for year and Ross put up those pictures and I just dropped my 485 into my 67 Stang and in half hour I was looking at it sitting in its new home, the way me and you were doing it it would take at least two and a half hours if you didn't want to scratch everything that you cleaned and painted I used to have nightmares about the bottom bolt on #7 cylinder with hooker 6114, that one bolt is almost as long as the whole install the new way. You will be very happy

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »
Where are most of you guys attaching your lifting chains or straps?
On the exhaust manifold bolts, intake or front of the heads. I see in a few pics it
looks like only 2 or 3 attachment points but hard to tell from the pics.
I think Ford used the exhaust manifold bolts in the factory.
I am thinking of using the exhaust manifolds with 2 on either side front and rear so I
can tilt the engine.
What you guys think?
garyv

I use the head bosses. And a tilt and leave it connected until the headers are done.
You gotta do some wiggling to get headers then the starter on a Fairlane. :P

plovett

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 03:53:06 PM »
Paulie, nothing wrong with your way, except that I have been inside drinking Crown and Diet Coke hours while you are still tightening header bolts :)

Well, last time I took the engine out it was specifically to put it on the engine dyno so I just took the engine out by itself.  I think it took me less than two hours to get it back in and bolted up.  Well, that likely didn't include all 32 header bolts.   I probably took a beer break before doing that.   :)

So point taken.   I'll likely try it as a whole unit next time, like you guys are suggesting.  Bolting the flexplate to the converter IS kind of a pain when the tranny is already in.

paulie

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
when i put the 428 in the 69 the first time , it went in complete water pump to scatter shield , both fpa s on and it slid right in . This time i will try it with the tremec attached , i have made my changes on the motor and it s ready , the new tremec is still in the box . I am going to trim my shock towers , similar to boss nine and put a new suspension on , then drop the whole enchilada in .. then crown n coke for sure .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..