Author Topic: 67 FAIRLANE HELP Long  (Read 4213 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: 67 FAIRLANE HELP Long
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »
So lining the gears up dot to dot would get you pretty close, nothing like being off a tooth.  Off a tooth, something would likely hit or tun far worse.  Barry was referring to a very late ICL due to tolerance stack, errors in machining, or even accidentally picking the wrong slot in a multi-key bottom gear. 

One thing you may want to do is check TDC with a piston stop to see if your balancer swap has your timing off.  If you haven't done that before, you screw a stop into a spark plug hole, by hand, turn the motor until it hits, mark the balancer at the timing pointer, then turn the motor the other way until it hits again, mark the balancer.  TDC is the exact middle between those two points. If you are off, timing could be off and make it pretty snoozy

Didn't realize you had an RPM at first, but since you do, assuming timing curve is right, I say cam change  next.  However, I agree with Barry that low vacuum is odd with a 268H and a 428.  Maybe try a second gauge, then advance the timing 4-6 degrees and see if it changes (not saying to run it that way, but would be interesting at idle)

As far as the XE274H and current springs, I would expect them to work fine, but, as I told 427HISS, you should really check at least one.  You are going from .494 lift to .565  My hunch is you'd have an open pressure increase of about 25 lbs, but you need to check, to include checking for coil bind and valve clearance and maybe use a +.050 keeper during cam break in.  I would recommend degreeing that one though if it's an option

I do not think you need to change to adjustable valvetrain for a 274H, in fact, in most cases, I'd recommend against it because stock rockers work so well.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

615STEELE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 10:39:58 AM »
I kinda put the low vacuum on the back burner, but looks like I need to address it first.  I will get back to the forum to let everyone know what I found.  It will be a while until the weather warms.  THANKS!

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
I strongly agree with checking for TDC, you say that your banancer is wobbling, so it also may have rotated on the hub section, which may mean your ignition timing is way off, which could affect the idle and vacuum reading. The 268H in my 69 Mach 1 428CJ idled almost like a stock cam, in drive at 700 RPM with a stock torque convertor, and 17-18 in vacuum. When you installed the 268H cam, did you check for lifter preload? Excessive preload could contribute to low vacuum and rough idle.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

615STEELE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »
I did check for preload, had a adjustable oem set on at first, tried a lot of preload to no preload, no difference in vacuum.  ended up shimming rocker stands about .008 since the block was milled the same amount and using non adjustable rockers with POP end stands.  The timing chain gear was cloyes brand with only one slot.  Tried to different vacuum gauges, read the same.  I am going to pull the front cover when weather warms, and if I don't see anything will give a shot degreeing the cam, will be a first for me.  I do have a summit degree wheel, but will have to be educated to use. THANKS!

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:27:12 AM »
Somehow I think your initial timing is off .Before you change harmonic balancers see what your timing is set at if is 10- 12 degrees try 14-16 and see if it doesn't run better. You will be able to see what your total timing is with that new harmonic balancer that should be 36-38 .Maybe a recurved distributor is in your future .A fellow on this forum(Faron) does them .I had a 428 cj similar specs. as yours it was a strong runner with probably 18 on my vaccumn gauge.The cam was 218@ 0.50

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
First impression would be to ditch the power brake setup, unless you have some need to keep the car original.  Put manual front disks on it, change the pedal to a manual brake pedal and then any vacuum issues go away except for tuning. 

Balancer - Agree, you need to make up a piston stop from an old spark plug and verify TDC.  I have found over the years that a lot - most - aged factor balancers are off.  Sometimes way off.