Author Topic: "lunchbox locker" anyone ever used one  (Read 3153 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: "lunchbox locker" anyone ever used one
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
   I have broken the locating pins on every Lock Rite I have installed for friends. A Detroit locker is cheaper in the long run.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »
     Please note a major difference in the engineering of the true "Detroit Locker" in the Ford 9 inch application vs. any of the "retro-fit" lockers; which instead of having the differential mechanisms' central driving hub or perhaps more accurately called the "central spyder" as splined to the differential case, this versus being located solely by the mounting upon the pinion cross pin(s), and which I have definitely witnessed multiple instances of failure of, either in the cross pin, or when provided with so-called "Super-Duty" pins or "Unbreakable" pins then the O.E.M. case breaks.  Oh, and that failure isn't covered under the warranty either!                 :o

Remember, cheaper is just going to be that...............cheaper!               ::)

Scott.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »
  The other problem with the Lock Rite style add ons is the lack of spring pressure to maintain engagement of the axle gears into the very shallow recesses of the side pieces of "the unit". One conversion I did stopped moving after the pins broke and destroyed the springs. No pressure , no go. And as Scott mentioned NO WARRANTY. I did manage to weasel a set of pins and springs out of them , put the unit in the original box with the replacement parts and sold it. The Detroit Locker is still working fine 10 years later.
   Randy
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:00:25 AM by gt350hr »