Author Topic: who makes the best long style 1 3/8 x 10 pressure plate and disc?  (Read 4614 times)

ron b

• View Profile
I am looking for the best long style pressure plate and disc for a street / strip application.  haven't ran a street /strip clutch in a while,  I have been running a tim hyatt soft loc. I want to go to the cj 50th with the car and don't want the pro shifted trans and soft lock in it.  thanks  ron

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: who makes the best long style 1 3/8 x 10 pressure plate and disc?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 04:53:02 AM »
McLeod and RAM both have very high quality clutch kits in a 1-3/8"x10. 

McLeod does not make an 11.5"/12" Long pressure plate anymore, but RAM does.  Depending on your horsepower rating and bellhousing, you may not even need an 11.5/12" plate any way...a lot of the 11" clutch kits will hold their own and put less weight on the end of the crankshaft.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:35:18 PM »
If you are not going to race, I can understand not wanting a "pro shifted" trans, but I would still use the soft-loc... why not? On my brothers 95% street driven car, he has a soft-loc and it works just fine. I put 13 grams of counter-weight on each lever and 7 turns of base and he has been driving it like that for over 5 years, no issues in a 69 Mach 1 with 750 HP. My car is 95% race and I had the same amount of counter weight on my old soft-loc, with 2 1/2 turns of base and that worked for 1.33 60' times and stayed locked up in high gear at 3540 pounds going over 140 MPH in the 1/4. If your engagement is short then play with your bell crank lengths and get more leverage (slow it down) for more control at the pedal. I've driven mine on the street too, no issue other than without a bunch of counter-weight it will slip if you try and get on it at a low RPM.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
My Soft Loc from Hyatt is turned all the way up for street , haven't had any problems 5 years running now

ron b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
I have a another car that is not a original scj car that I am going to run the soft loc in.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
This is my opinion of "the best". If you call and talk to them they will shave back the diaphragm fingers to allow a 1-3/8" input shaft.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/clutch-kits/rst-twin-disc/rst-clutch-pns-9987.html
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:25:02 PM »
McLeod offers both pressure plates with the fingers cut already for the big input.  It's just got a separate part number.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
It should be noted that some of the 1-3/8ths dual disc offerings from McLeod MUST be utilized with hydraulic T/O bearing. Perhaps the OP has a hydraulic bearing already for the vehicle in question so the concern is moot but Brent and I went through this with my Fairlane.
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
It should be noted that some of the 1-3/8ths dual disc offerings from McLeod MUST be utilized with hydraulic T/O bearing. Perhaps the OP has a hydraulic bearing already for the vehicle in question so the concern is moot but Brent and I went through this with my Fairlane.
JB

Can you elaborate on this? There are 3 of these stacked up in the mezzanine of our shop. One for my Galaxie, one for our '67 Mustang, and another for our '65 Galaxie. Got a quantity discount on them. McLeod didn't say anything about this when we got them, could throw a wrench in things. They are all diaphragm style.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:33:54 AM »
JB

Can you elaborate on this? There are 3 of these stacked up in the mezzanine of our shop. One for my Galaxie, one for our '67 Mustang, and another for our '65 Galaxie. Got a quantity discount on them. McLeod didn't say anything about this when we got them, could throw a wrench in things. They are all diaphragm style.

He's talking about the RST/RXT twin disc for the 1-3/8"x 10 input shaft.  Won't work with a traditional fork/TOB.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
JB

He's talking about the RST/RXT twin disc for the 1-3/8"x 10 input shaft.  Won't work with a traditional fork/TOB.

I'm going to need to look into this. The one's we have are the RST. Talked to McLeod at SEMA a few years back (maybe SEMA 2016) because at the time they didn't make the RST for a 1-3/8" input shaft. They decided to use their CNC plasma and cut the fingers shorter for us. At the time we thought we were getting a one-off deal so we had them do 3 in case they decided it was too much trouble to ever try again. Looks like since then they've decided to make a standard part # for it. Through the whole process nobody said anything about a different throw out bearing though.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
What is it that makes it hydraulic throw out only? I'm assuming the pressure plate is deeper to allow for the twin setup, which doesn't allow enough room for a fork?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »
I did not receive an explanation from McLeod, just that a traditional T/O bearing arrangement would not survive even minimal use. I got lucky only in the sense that I noticed one finger on the diaphragm was a bit proud after I installed the clutch. So I called McLeod to ask if it would settle out and tech said no worries but in the course of the conversation I asked if their T/O bearing was a good match and tech tells me I can’t use one. Huh? So it all comes out and goes back to McLeod for a refund. Now just imagine if I put the drivetrain completely back together and it instantly turns to shit. That was the lucky part if you want to call it that,lol..
I was very excited about the twin disc set-up but all for nought. The next joke was trying to find a street clutch for my big I/O TL that is rated for 600 hp. Not much to choose from out there. Good luck!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
I did not receive an explanation from McLeod, just that a traditional T/O bearing arrangement would not survive even minimal use. I got lucky only in the sense that I noticed one finger on the diaphragm was a bit proud after I installed the clutch. So I called McLeod to ask if it would settle out and tech said no worries but in the course of the conversation I asked if their T/O bearing was a good match and tech tells me I can’t use one. Huh? So it all comes out and goes back to McLeod for a refund. Now just imagine if I put the drivetrain completely back together and it instantly turns to shit. That was the lucky part if you want to call it that,lol..
I was very excited about the twin disc set-up but all for nought. The next joke was trying to find a street clutch for my big I/O TL that is rated for 600 hp. Not much to choose from out there. Good luck!

I looked into this over the weekend. McLeod sent us throwout bearings with the clutches. Sent them all together. They're all on one invoice. Ours are the diaphragm style, not the long style. Wonder if that changes things?
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 01:31:58 PM »
All RST/RXT kits have diaphragm plates.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431