Author Topic: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads  (Read 21765 times)

jbamber

• View Profile
    • www.BamberEngineering.com
Re: Gauging Interest - Tunnelport Heads
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2021, 09:57:20 AM »
I think most (majority) would like to see these heads work on a completely stock 427 myself included.
Once you start changing the factory specifications to "custom" > have to mill this, drill that, buy this part, different valve cover angle > to run them interest will drop off.
Great someone is looking in making a set though!

All of our solutions will provide exactly what you describe - a bolt-on package which will work with a stock 427 block, tunnel port intake manifold, stock exhaust (in the stock location). and stock valve covers (in the stock location).  As we get closer to release, we will post details in the Vendor Classifieds, but for clarity now here is the summary:

We will offer two tunnel port head packages:

Maximum Performance – this version will have canted and angled valves, and use individual shaft mounted rocker arms. This version will require modifications inside the ports of the intake manifold.  We will offer the recommended manifold modifications as a service, and provide instructions for those who wish to make their own intake manifold modifications.  We expect this version to easily flow more than 400 CFM.

The Maximum Performance version will be offered in a package which contains all custom items needed to assemble the engine - fully cleaned and assembled heads, rocker arms, rocker stands, intake gasket, and ARP fasteners.  No searching required.

Original Fit -  this version will use the factory rocker arms, and doesn't require the manifold modifications.  The Original Fit version is for people who are more concerned about preserving "original" than maximum performance.  The performance of this version will be better than the factory tunnel port heads, but will not be as high as the Maximum Performance version.

I'll chime in about FE VC's because that's what I specialize in in my collection.
Not interested in TP heads since my cars are/will be street driven.
To me as long as a stock VC can be mounted on a Head/intake combo with some sort of a stepped adapter (even thought it may be further away from the block). I wouldn't mind the minor difference in appearance.
Just my point of view (POV).
Richard >>> FERoadster

You would be happy with these heads in a street driven vehicle.  The intake port will be sized correctly for the valve size (the factory intake ports are WAY too big), and the exhaust flow will be the correct proportion to the intake flow.

John Bamber
Bamber Engineering
www.BamberEngineering.com
e-mail: john@bamberengineering.com

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
I'd love to see it happen, would also like to see a port injection-ready modern intake that will fit under the hood (if you need specifics, a Boss 9 scoop on a 70 Mustang...)   ;)

When BBM delivers next, I will be doing at least a 511 for my car, likely supercharged, and it needs a decision on heads
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2021, 02:06:36 PM »
I'd love to see it happen, would also like to see a port injection-ready modern intake that will fit under the hood (if you need specifics, a Boss 9 scoop on a 70 Mustang...)   ;)

Wasn't there an IR crossram cast for the tumnelport? That should fit under a hood.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2021, 02:52:47 PM »

Wasn't there an IR crossram cast for the tumnelport? That should fit under a hood.
[/quote]

Funny you say that.....here's a recent story of mine. I have spent a significant number of hours in my life looking up and researching those intake manifolds, tried to get David Dove to make me one too. I was in a local shop a few weeks back, the guy was showing me some of his stuff, and on the bottom shelf sits a tunnelport IR intake manifold complete with all the throttle blades, linkage, everything! I have shifted my efforts from having one made to sweet talking this guy out of his  ;D

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
I want a big single 4, but those are very cool
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
An absolute work of art! Great pictures!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »
OOOOOOOH MY.
That is beautiful.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2021, 06:22:07 PM »

Original Fit -  this version will use the factory rocker arms, and doesn't require the manifold modifications.  The Original Fit version is for people who are more concerned about preserving "original" than maximum performance.  The performance of this version will be better than the factory tunnel port heads, but will not be as high as the Maximum Performance version.
You would be happy with these heads in a street driven vehicle.  The intake port will be sized correctly for the valve size (the factory intake ports are WAY too big), and the exhaust flow will be the correct proportion to the intake flow.

Perfect.  I look forward to the announcement.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2021, 07:54:29 PM »
Tunnelport related.... This engine should hit the dyno next week, Blair almost has it ready. 482 cube, BBM block. The intake manifold is a little funky, its a dual plane that somebody had cut all of the dividers out of. Whoever did the work did a real clean job! The dyno headers will have an O2 sensor on each cylinder to make sure the intake isn't causing problems. The intake may work great, may be a handicap, we'll have to see.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2021, 09:31:01 AM »
Mike or anyone for that matter I have seen a lot of the plenums cut out or cut down I should say. What is the purpose of that and does it hurt or help? Seems like I saw this done in some early to mid 70s magazine article . I have a high riser intake thst has been done that way. Thanks Lance 

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »
The ones I have seen lose over 50 hp and torque, and spit and sputter until the engine gets over 4000 rpm.  Hard to dyno test because of the lack of airflow at lower speeds.  I would never do that for a customer, nor would I recommend it to anyone.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »
Mike or anyone for that matter I have seen a lot of the plenums cut out or cut down I should say. What is the purpose of that and does it hurt or help? Seems like I saw this done in some early to mid 70s magazine article . I have a high riser intake thst has been done that way. Thanks Lance

I've done it on similar engines and not seen any difference, but those similar engines were lower rpm stuff, around 5500-6000 rpm.   On higher rpm engines I've seen it add power.

I don't cut the divider out, I cut down about a half inch, then shape it into the plenum, and bull-nose the leading edge. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2021, 12:06:49 PM »
Brent, look at that picture again.  Someone cut down into the lower plane, not just the divider.  Now the runner is only a few inches long at most.  No velocity, no torque.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2021, 12:08:08 PM »
Brent, look at that picture again.  Someone cut down into the lower plane, not just the divider.  Now the runner is only a few inches long at most.  No velocity, no torque.   Joe-JDC

Gotcha.  I thought Lance was asking about just cutting/shaping the divider.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
I have read through this a couple of times and I hope I didn't miss this. Will you be offering intake manifolds for your heads? I know with some searching tunnel port intakes can be found but having one or two choices ( my vote is for the single plane dual four C7OE-9424-A) would make this an easier for guys to make the purchase, in my opinion. I would also wonder if Jays intake adapter would open up some choices for other "tops" too??