Author Topic: Internal Engine Bearings  (Read 1798 times)

MeanMofakee

Internal Engine Bearings
« on: May 03, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
I see most of the posts on engine builds guys use a combination of 3 specific bearing manufacturers. FM/Clevite/Durabond. Is this because of simple preference, availability, or are they simply the best choice. If so I would like the reason why, I don't want to get into a disagreement with my engine builder without some facts. Not planning to but you never know.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Internal Engine Bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
Probably all of the above.

All 3 of those manufacturers have an excellent product and a great reputation as a bearing manufacturer.  I choose to use those in most of my engines.

Aren't too many bearing manufacturers out there past those.....basically ACL, King, and that's about it.   

ACL doesn't make an FE main bearing, but they make Cleveland main bearings. 

King and Clevite do not offer 3/4 groove main bearings for the FE, where Federal Mogul does.   

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
I've always used the Federal Mogul mains, and used to use the Federal Mogul rod bearings also.  But on my big SOHC when I started running at higher engine speeds (up to 7500), I had an issue with the bearing material turning very shiny and strange looking on the Federal Mogul rod bearings.  Wish I had a picture, but I don't.  Anyway, I talked to a few people about this and the consensus seemed to be that the bearing material was actually melting under the conditions in the engine, leading to the strange appearance.  I was told by more than one respected engine builder to switch to the Clevite rod bearings.  I did that and have not seen the same problem since.  So, right now I use the Federal Mogul 125M main bearings, and Clevite CB-743HNK bearings on the rods.  The Clevite number is for BBC rod journals, but I imagine the same bearing type is available for standard FE rod journals also, if you are running a stock FE crank.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
And jay posted a coated bearing part number so if anyone is surfing summit and wondering why the bearings cost $150 for a set, that's the reason.... ;)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports