Author Topic: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use  (Read 9720 times)

N2950H

• View Profile
Re: Mono leaf and CalTrac kit for street use
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
I was considering the Hoosiers as well, but those don't look safe on the street.  I live in Seattle where the streets are often wet so I need something with a little more of a tread pattern.

I currently have 275 radials back there and I have about a finger width between the inside sidewall and the leaf springs, and about the same between the outside sidewall and the fender.  I may end up shortening the axle and minitubbing it so I can fit a 315 or 325 DR, we'll see.

Phil Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »
I was considering the Hoosiers as well, but those don't look safe on the street.  I live in Seattle where the streets are often wet so I need something with a little more of a tread pattern.

I currently have 275 radials back there and I have about a finger width between the inside sidewall and the leaf springs, and about the same between the outside sidewall and the fender.  I may end up shortening the axle and minitubbing it so I can fit a 315 or 325 DR, we'll see.

ET streets are not much of what I would call wet street friendly despite there "tread pattern"
I think that tread depth starts where most "street tires" show there wear bars
Don't get me wrong, GREAT tire just watch the water

Red Lehr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 04:41:20 AM »

Red, the new bracket that comes with the Caltracs has to pivot, so you can't just weld it in place.  On my Galaxie I moved the rear leaf springs inboard for tire clearance so my setup is not going to be like yours.  If I were you, I think I'd cut the bottom of the leaf spring bracket away and then weld a reinforcement piece in over the top or front side, and then just leave the bottom open.  I basically did that on my car (although I cut the frame to move the spring inboard too), and it hasn't given me any trouble.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Jay, I'll be working on this project over the weekend. I'll be honest, I'm not new to welding but I've never welded under a car before and with the fuel pump being close I get a little apprehensive ....LOL

scott foxwell

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »
I have MT 275 ET Streets for my 67 Fairlane...yet to be run, also have CalTracs to install. One thing I see is where some leave the rubber insulator around the leaf spring when running CalTracs. Seems to me that takes away form the function of the bars. I'm probably going to start with the factory springs mostly due to budget, but anticipate running the split leafs in the future. This has been a good thread.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
On my Galaxie I moved the rear leaf springs inboard for tire clearance so my setup is not going to be like yours.

Jay, if you wouldn't mind posting a photo showing how you moved the leaf springs inboard, I'd love to see it.  I've been contemplating doing the same but not quite sure how to go about it.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
These pictures aren't the greatest but they will give you the idea:

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »

If you read the Hoosier literature - they are not sold as "street tires".  You can run 'em like that, but they publish the proper disclaimer. 

1. Are my drag tires street legal?
ANSWER:  No.  All Hoosier Racing Tire products are designed for a specific purpose. Consult with Hoosier Racing Tire Corp. for specific fitment and application. Utilizing Hoosier Tires in any form outside of their intended use constitutes misuse of the product and can cause SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH. Hoosier Racing Tire products are designed and manufactured for racing purposes only, within a closed course designed for organized competition. Not for recreational use.

Use your Hoosiers in dry weather on dry pavement and should not have a problem.  They do hook - my 60' is the same with either their DRs or their slicks and a little better than M/T slicks.  In a low HP car (400 and down more or less), maybe good for as much as 200 passes depending on your burnout procedure.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »
 O/T I spy one of Uncle Dale's bone creepers, those things used to be injection molded in the basement of the Packard shop. I lost count of the times he turned red and nearly stroked out seeing me use a pitpad or piece cardboard instead. lol

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
Man, I'm just baffled.  Since I want to go with a much wider tire out back, I spent most of the evening researching mini tub kits, offset shackles, and other methods of relocating the rear leaf springs for a 63/64 Galaxie...but I am coming up absolutely empty.  Lots of hits for Falcons and Fairlanes, but no dice on the Galaxies.  I guess I've been spoiled coming from the world of Fox Body Mustangs and Jeeps where there is no shortage of aftermarket parts available.   Am I off my rocker, or does a guy have to completely fabricate a 63/64 Galaxie mini tub from scratch?

I don't know how much this would help my situation, but another thing I've been considering lately is the Ridetech 4-link setup and coil overs (not the airbags).  I can't confirm without seeing it in person, but it seems like this would give me a bit more clearance on the inboard side.  If this plus a shortened rear axle were enough to let me fit some 315/60-15 ET Streets, that is a likely path forward for this car.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »
I think you'd have to fabricate a minitub, but for what its worth with the leaf springs moved inboard as shown in my earlier pictures, I was able to fit a 29.5/10.5-15 Hoosier slick in the factory wheelwells.  The car ran 9.50s with that setup.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 08:35:39 AM »
If you feel the need for a larger contact patch, you would look for a taller tire, not necessarily a wider one.

N2950H

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »
I think you'd have to fabricate a minitub, but for what its worth with the leaf springs moved inboard as shown in my earlier pictures, I was able to fit a 29.5/10.5-15 Hoosier slick in the factory wheelwells.  The car ran 9.50s with that setup.

Thanks Jay, appreciate the info.  Since I have to start somewhere, I'll probably order some 295/55-15 ET Streets (or perhaps the taller 295/65-15) and see if I can stuff them in there with the current backspacing on my 15x8 Cragars...and then go with a different backspacing if required.  Your Hoosiers have a 13.0" section width whereas the ET Streets I'm looking at are only 11.9" and 12.0."  If I do have to move the leaf spring in, I will probably try and talk you into taking a better pic of how you did the forward attach point as that's hard to see in the pics you posted.   Then if this isn't enough traction I'll entertain more drastic measures.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
Keep an eye out for tire growth also.  ET Streets are pretty much like the Hoosier DRs - slicks with a couple of grooves to meet some minimum DOT requirement.  Maybe not a factor on your car but the Falcon has an issue with 28" slicks just touching ( and leaving rubber) on the trailing edge of the rocker panel at speed.  The section just slightly rubs the leaf spring when just rolling around, but that narrows as the slick grows so no issues on the track.