Author Topic: Mufflers  (Read 24328 times)

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
Re: Mufflers
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »

Personally the FE engine has one of the worst exhaust notes of any of the Big Blocks IMHO!
..Yeah I have never heard an FE I liked so I am not banking on it...

We must be listening to different FEs then :)
[/quote]

Ohhhhh I am sure we are, but I have heard a lot of them, from full blown race to Street driven hopped up motors to the average Dog 390 in a truck with glass Packs. Like I said it s all subjective and whats music to my ears isnt music to someone elses.

I will say 99% of all old school car dont have that refined exhaust note I like, its just a sound that I prefer and the older generation car guy tends to like a more raw sound. When I built the wifes 32 I had 5 different Mufflers installed on that car till I found the right exhaust note.............Started with Flowmaster 40 series............sounded good OK wasnt what I was looking for, Next up was Magnaflows.............Hated them with a passion, Followed my Flowmaster hushpowers..........Awful, Hooker Aero chambers................CLOSE I mean CLOSE but something was off.

And Finally figured it out, been running them for yrs on the Lightning, The 03 Cobra but never even considered them on the Roadster and the hands down winner was Bassani.

A Bassani muffler with an X pipe is the best sounding muffler for me hands down! They just sound Pissed off! There is no room in the Bad Byrd project for this type of Muffler, so I am hoping the DR Gas Boom tube will suffice!

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
Sounds to me like you and the fe have something in common....... crappy exhaust note. ;D jmho
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:36 AM »
Could be! ;D

fe66comet

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
I don't think I have the room in my Comet. I thought of going with a X pipe for better scavenging but the car is short. If I did go with the X pipe driveshaft clearance is another issue along with clearing the X braces I need to install to hold things together, just no room for all that.

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
I don't think I have the room in my Comet. I thought of going with a X pipe for better scavenging but the car is short. If I did go with the X pipe driveshaft clearance is another issue along with clearing the X braces I need to install to hold things together, just no room for all that.

That is always the problem with any cross over pipe Pipe situation, i assure you a really good exhaust guy could figure it out!

Wreckless Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
Here is two exhaust sounds of my 445 with a comp 294s solid flat tappet cam, .605 lift with 248* duration intake & exhaust.

Here is open headers before installation in the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ii1I0Q-A8

This is the same engine in the car with FPA Shorty headers into a 3" H-pipe with 3" two chamber FlowMasters. They feed into 2 1/2" pipes over the axle and out the back with 3" Meg's tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Aj4g12Lc1M

It's loud, just the way I like it.  The bigger the cam in an appropriately dressed FE the better it sounds.

ww

fe66comet

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
I thought of running an a pipe through my frame cross braces and making flanges to go around. Thing is the pipe is the same size as the rail in front of the rear tires forward. If it hangs below that it will be a good bump stop LOL. If I had my way I would have the D627 Doug's going into a 3" X pipe with electric dumps in front of the rear tires. In the rear two borla long case mufflers out the rear. I could make it happen but I am not even close yet. Still doing the engine and trans and gathering chassis parts.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Sometimes when i built exhaust on low
cars. I have used four smaler pipes and
four muffler for added ground clerance.
And with 16/33-15 tires the rearaxle is
so high up from the ground so you can
ran the pipes under it

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
This Chevelle had full lenght exhaust system
four 2 1/4 pipes four appleracing muflers
full tube chassie lowest part of the car was
rockerpanels

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »
In this pic you can se how low it realy was
I built the chassie for the White dart in front
also

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
So no body running the smithys ? I have run x pipes on my small blocks with a dynamax ulta flow sounded real good. And I allways liked super turbos on my 351w f100. Just never had a FE and I`m trying to keep a 60/70`s era sounding muffler on the 54. It will have the FPA shorties and 2.5 all the way out the back. Not gona X pipe it though maybe a H-pipe. Keep the input coming though it helps alot
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:56:01 PM by Grbmaverickmo »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 06:46:25 PM »
60-70s sound??Then its the hush trush with the
Woodpecker on ;D 
On my Galaxie i run two  -70s Mercedes Diesel
end mufflers quiet inside the car and nice bark
when you step on the gas

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Here is two exhaust sounds of my 445 with a comp 294s solid flat tappet cam, .605 lift with 248* duration intake & exhaust.
ww

I like the open headers best ;D

This Chevelle had full lenght exhaust system
four 2 1/4 pipes four appleracing muflers
full tube chassie lowest part of the car was
rockerpanels

I really liked the Apple Racing mufflers, but it was very difficult for me here in the US to get ahold of them. When I finally did, they had sold the company so I was right back to square one. I gave up at that point.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fe66comet

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
I suppose if you went to a Ford show and swap meet you more then likely could get a sampling of every kind of exhaust behind a FE imaginable. And a real good deal on some goodies too.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 05:19:37 AM »
Yes Dough  they was said to flow more than
a straight pice of tube. I almost had forgot about
them.
I used a lot of them back in the 90s
I see  Appleracing is  still around