Author Topic: 63 Galaxie rack and pinion  (Read 1010 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
63 Galaxie rack and pinion
« on: July 08, 2022, 04:09:00 PM »
Thinking about installing a Flaming River R&P unit on my 63.
Has anyone used their kit and what were the result's.
The only real quistion in my mind is if my headers will clear.
Greg

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Re: 63 Galaxie rack and pinion
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 12:10:38 PM »
I have not used the Flaming River Kit, but there a couple of things that stand out to me right away when I look at it on line.

1.  The Price.  Holy Shit, I am in the wrong business.  $2500+ for a reverse steer Mustang II power rack and a laser cut steel bracket.  They must think we are stupid.
2.  This kit uses a rack with the ball joints at the ends.  With the Galaxies A-arm geometry, this puts the pivot point of the tie rod well outboard of the Lower Control Arms pivot axis.  This will likely lead to bump steer and is a significant departure from the original geometry. 

I built the rack and pinion for my '62 Monterey (same chassis as your '63 Galaxie).  I used a late 80's GM J platform rack (Think 1989 Cavalier, Sunfire, etc).  The advantage of the GM rack is it is center steer.  I fabricated a plate that mounts to the center of the rack, and holds the tie rod ends at the right location so as to not create any bumpsteer or other geometry issues. 

I also fabricated a couple of plates that mounted the rack to the chassis, using the factory GM C-Clamps.  I made my own tie rods using DOM tube, and purchased a set of LH and RH 11/16 taps from McMaster-Carr.  All in, the whole setup was less than $500.  Not the best pictures, but you get the idea.

I used the original FoMoCo Eaton power steering pump, and just had the local hydraulic shop make up a couple of new lines with the right ends on them  For the steering linkage, I cut the rag joint coupler off the end of the column.  Put a support bearing into the end of the column tube and use a Heidt's Double D universal joint and couplers.  I did have to weld a heim joint to the frame to support the steering linkage as well since it took 3 joints to get to where I needed to go.

The one downfall, is the GM rack doesn't have as much lateral travel as original steering system, so some turning radius was lost.  A person could shorten the steering arms on the knuckles to get that back.  I never took the time, and in a 19' long wagon, people expect you to do a 3 point turn in a tight parking lot anyways.

FPA makes a set of headers to clear this particular conversion.  They worked well in my car.  Overall, the car handles really well, and is much more responsive than with the stock bell crank system.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 12:41:09 PM by FrozenMerc »

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 12:41:47 PM »
Nice Merc.
you post was helpful. I may go your way. I think I will wait and get the engine buildt with the 6r80 bolted up and do some measurements to see if my headers will work.
My other option is to just get a new Borgson power pump which should be better then stock.
Thanks for the answer.
Greg

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 12:52:13 PM »
Unisteer makes a similar kit that uses the center steer GM rack for quite a bit less than the Flaming River. 

https://www.unisteer.com/collections/ford/products/1960-64-ford-rack-pinion-kit-for-traditional-motors

For me, it was easy to fabricate the system as the car was completely disassembled down to the bare chassis.  It would be a bunch more work to recreate it on an assembled car, especially if you were working off of jack stands, and not a lift.  For an assembled car, purchasing a kit may make sense.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks
That is helpfull. look's better then the Flaming River unit.
I book marked the page and will see if I can find some reviews online. I could only find one review for the FR unit and he had not had it installed yet.
I should have my engine and tranny together in a few month's and I can do a mock up and do some measureing.
Greg

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 04:54:45 PM »
An alternative to R&P is a Borgeson power steering box. It replaces your stock box with one that is a much quicker ratio. I put one on my '66 Galaxie and went from manual almost 6 turns lock to lock to power 3 1/2 turns lock to lock and it was basically a bolt in deal.

https://www.borgeson.com/P-S-Conversion-52-64-Full-Sized-Ford-Cars.html#product-details-tab-specification

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 05:21:07 PM »
Hi Alan
That is what I am thinking of doing. I installed one in my 71 Ranchero and it was an easy install except for removing the pitman arm.
I havn't got to drive it yet because of a lot of unexpected body work I had to do on the car but am hoping to drive it next year.
Greg