Author Topic: Choice of intake  (Read 3811 times)

catchem

• View Profile
Choice of intake
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
I am currently building a 390 for my 64 Galaxie fastback. It has C6 tranny and a 3.89 rearend. Motor is bored .030" over, forged pistons 10:1 compression, ported heads. Comp Cams 265 DEH. Edelbrock 1407 carb.
So here is my question will the edelbrock performer intake be good for my needs or should I get the performer rpm intake.
I appreciate you taking the time to read.
Jeff

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Choice of intake
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:35:30 PM »
The RPM will work better with your combo

catchem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 05:40:49 PM »
THank you

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »
As Chilli460 said, there are better choices.  The regular Performer has small ports that while good for low end torque, hurts performance at high RPMs.  An old Edelbrock Streetmaster, or the newer Performer RPM, or a Blue Thunder would be better choices.
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:44:17 PM »
Get rid of the 1407 Eddy carb all the ones i have com a cross has design issues, namely the primary cluster ( booster ) Edelbrock uses is to short fore the bigger/wider venturi in the 750 cfm carbs, they uses the same pri cluster as in the smaller 600 cfm. it should have the longer cluster/booster like the bigger old Carter carbs.
You get a week signal to the booster when its not reaching down to the smallest circumference in the venturi, (very slow start up of the booster) Edelbrocks solution to the problem is to swish cheesing the emulsiontube to get it started and that causes it to get very rich when its coming on when signal to the booster is rising.
There is nothing in the tuning kit, Rods,jets and springs that will sort the problem.
Another problem i have seen with the 1407 is the location/ hight of throttle plates to transferslotts and ported vacuum. Bigblocks with a "sporty cam" the pri throttleplates needs to be drilled to keep them closed in the right location to transferslot opening and ported vacuum. A lott of the older Carters has a " Idle-eaz" adjustment to keep the throttleplates in the right location.As i sead the 1407s ones i have come across anyway.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
I am currently building a 390 for my 64 Galaxie fastback. It has C6 tranny and a 3.89 rearend. Motor is bored .030" over, forged pistons 10:1 compression, ported heads. Comp Cams 265 DEH. Edelbrock 1407 carb.
So here is my question will the edelbrock performer intake be good for my needs or should I get the performer rpm intake.
I appreciate you taking the time to read.
Jeff

Jeff, I agree with the others, and hate to poke at your build, but your 3.89 gear and ported heads will want more intake, and likely more carb too.  A Performer 390 will cost you power with that gear set and take away a lot of the gains from the porting.  An RPM, Streetmaster, or Street Dominator would do you well.

One thing I'll add is that you are likely a little mismatched on the cam for the compression and gearing.  I would first make sure you know your compression exactly, cc the heads, measure deck clearance, etc.   

- If you end up closer to 9.5:1 static, run it on 106 ICL, but realize that cam is going to run out of steam pretty quickly with your gear.  The ported heads and a good intake will help, but it's still a very mild cam with a stiff gear 

- If you are at a true 10:1 static, a cheap solution would be to retard the cam 4 degrees and check exhaust valve clearance closely. It is a band-aid for a cam that is too small, but putting a short cam on 110 ICL is a lot earlier than what Ford did, they installed cams as late as 114 ICL on CJs, H-code 302s, and really a ton of engines.  It won't be a horsepower hero but it will be a nice healthy driver with the head work and a good intake

- If you haven't bought the cam yet, or have the opportunity to swap, the 275DEH is likely a better match for 10:1 compression, (not my first cam choice for a strong 390, but easy for comparison of where I'd go) but don't spend money any different cam unless you are positive on your static compression.  An even better option would be going to Brent or another FE builder and getting a custom cam.  Not required, but gives you the ability to make the engine do exactly what you want to

Like Tobbemek, I am not an Edelbrock carb fan for peak power, but they can be nice drivers.  I do think a 600 cfm carb is on the small side for your gear and headwork.  I think a  Holley 3310 750 vac sec would be very nice for your combo, and if you really like Edelbrock, I have used their 800 on 390s and it's a decent carb and very streetable

Last thing...if you have all the parts except the intake, are really at 10:1, retard the cam, buy a better intake and run it.  It'll run fine and be a lot of fun, just realize that there is power on the table with cam and carb.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:12:39 AM »
"Quote" Like Tobbemek, I am not an Edelbrock carb fan for peak power, but they can be nice drivers.

The problem with 1407 750 cfm Eddys i have come a cross is that they are terrible drivers. Wrong engineered, they run very rich at part throttle and foul your spark plugs. With so many/large correcting holes/emulsion holes it will get very rich at part throttle and lean out att WOT high rpm situation. The deal with over emulsion is a band aid for the booster ending 3/8 above the narrowest diameter in the venturi. It just have a distorted fuel curve. A correct engineered carb should have the bottom  of the booster end in the smallest part of the venturi wear the signal is strongest.   750 cfm will always be 750 cfm at WOT. It all com downs to how well one can get the fuel atomized and how one can trailer the fuel curve to ones need and of cause the often forgotten important IDLE SYSTEM how well it get your car "grandma" driving and cruising with good mileage and clean plugs waiting for the real WOT stab and "hungry" for fuel and willing to ignite all that power you have com across with heads cam compression intake and exhaust mods.
There is nothing wrong with Carters ore Quadrajets if you know how to deal with them. They have a more sophisticated idle system then the Holleys.
My recommendation fore a little healthier street driven and som times drag raced car will like Rozz be the  old and famous  3310 type Holley fore there simplicity and well known behavier. The DP carbs are best for Drag with very high stall converters ore a stick Drag car. A street driven stick car will benefit from the 3310 VS carb as well with more low rpm torque and still open up to 750 cfm when needed.   IMO.
If you have doubts of the 3310 Holley take your time and look in to a short video clip google "Bjorn Bondesson Tierp" and have a look fore your self what can be accomplished with a Holley 3310. If one thinks you need a better /bigger carb ore a DP for that Hmmmm     
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:39:29 AM by Tobbemek »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:55:49 PM »
Ouch i dont want to end up on my roof
better not use a 3310 :o ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Some chicken people Heo  ;D

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »
Ouch i dont want to end up on my roof
better not use a 3310 :o ;D ;D

Haha, guess that is why folks like to use Edelbrock carbs, no worry about excessive acceleration  :P

On another note to the original poster, I'm restoring an early 3310 downleg 4150 right now while I'm between other projects.  If interested pm me.  These early ones really are great.

catchem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
Thank you everybody for the info. I did not realize the 1407 750cfm was such a horrible carb. I've never been a holley man so i tend to stay away from them. I can't tune them at all. The cam may get changed to the 275deh but that will be decided on budget left. I currently have the motor out and tearing down to do refresh with the original block. so things may change quickly. Thank you for all the information. thinking of stroking now so.....