Poll

Can Radiator fluid be "saved" and re used 2 weeks later after storage in an open bucket

Yea
13 (100%)
Nay
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Can Radiator fluid be "saved"  (Read 3855 times)

RLander

• View Profile
Can Radiator fluid be "saved"
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
Just wondering.

1964 Galaxie "Super Frod"
390, 4spd

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
Re: Can Radiator fluid be "saved"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
Used to happen all the time when I "wrenched" for  a living. Just try to keep any infiltrated dirt out of the cooling system. I would always dispose of the content at the very bottom.

Lou
"Proud owner of the magic ratchet!"
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Sure, just cover it to keep out dirt and to prevent a cat/dog from drinking it. Best, use a funnel and pour it into some 1 ga. milk containers and screw on the top. Makes pouring it out later easy too. Strain the last 1" or so of leavings with a coffee filter stuck in the funnel. Just don't make any coffee with that filter!   
Bob Maag

RLander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:26:13 PM »
Cool thanks, i thought that it might adsorb oxygen from the air and get ruined or something.
Thanks all
Rlander

1964 Galaxie "Super Frod"
390, 4spd

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:17:03 PM »
There is one brand that doesn't like oxygen.  Dexcool, aka "Deathcool" can actually turn to sludge from oxygen exposure as minore as opening the cap to check it.

However, just use green or yellow antifreeze and you are fine.  Dexcool has no business in an early Ford or any non-recovery system.  You wouldnt believe the mess it makes..  You'd think your block was full of mud

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch