Author Topic: NOS 63 64 Thunderbird Alternator  (Read 2700 times)

babybolt

• View Profile
NOS 63 64 Thunderbird Alternator
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »
Actually new old replacement stock, this a factory rebuilt by Autolite alternator for a 63 and 64 Thunderbird.  It should work for a 63 or 64 Galaxie, and some 63 Mercurys had them also, although I am not sure about the pulley size.  The lightweights and Tbolts used a larger pulley and I have also noticed that these cars may have also had a larger amp rating.  This is ink stamped from the factory.  Also I think it is probably a new unit rather than rebuilt because in 1965 there were no cores available and this does look new with no marks on the case.  There is a small section on the back of the case with some small holes as you can see in the pictures.  I have not tested it.  Was saving this a for a clone, but thats kinda a waste.  Also included are some used original mounting brackets.  There are no pits but the splash shield has dents and the rubber part is gone.  $375 with a money order.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109047749994930397528/Altbird?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMfdvJPZsqTEmAE&feat=directlink
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 10:33:53 AM by babybolt »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: NOS 63 64 Thunderbird Alternator
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 06:20:53 AM »
I have used one that I was trying to ID. Your pictures helped. Mine has a double pulley on it. My plug is damaged and I`d like to find parts as well as a harness end. I`m planning to use it on my Tbolt wagon project. Any Idea where to find parts and a number breakdown?

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Sorry I don't know much more about these alternators other than they are hard to find due to low production before they were superceded by the mid-60's and up Autolite alternator.  Besides the T-Bolt and lightweight Galaxie they were used only on about 2 years on T-Birds and maybe some Lincoln 430 engines, and they might have been optional on Galaxies.  I'm not sure where to find parts, maybe a good alternator rebuilding shop might have some leads.  Tim at Dearborn Steel Tubing has the correct large diameter pulley for the Bolts and Lightweights.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
It looks like my 64 Galaxie alt that came with the police
option

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:10:53 AM »
I saw one on my buddy's 63 parts Galaxie, but the front case was different.  It looked like the front half of the Autolite alternator.  Here's a picture of a bunch more...

Notice the difference widths in the steel spaces.  Several are rebuild with the wrong shaft/armature with the threaded shaft for a pulley retention nut.  I don't know if these alternators came with the squarer type front case in later production or if they were rebuilt that way.  Re-builders have a tendency to disassemble of bunch of alternators, throw them in a barrel and reassemble them at random.  Kinda looks like a job for a guy with a CNC machine (wonder if we know anyone on this forum) to digitize the "correct" front case and remill the later square case and tumble finish it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:20:24 AM by babybolt »