Author Topic: hyd flat tappet cam  (Read 718 times)

hbstang

• View Profile
hyd flat tappet cam
« on: August 30, 2023, 04:42:40 PM »
a freind is building a 99% stock 390 gt engine for his 67 fairlane,but his new elgin cam has .0035 runout on the bearing journals.would you run it?
if not,what cam would you recomend for it,one step over stock?he has nos ford hyd lifters for it.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: hyd flat tappet cam
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 06:34:36 AM »
If it has that much run-out on multiple journals, it probably can't even be installed. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 12:35:04 PM »
Post an image of how you have it setup and how you are measuring.  Which journals have the highest runout?  Does the 0.0035" indicate a bend in the cam, or incorrectly machined individual journals?

The reason I ask is in my world, runout typically indicates an incorrectly machined or worn journal that is no longer on center (concentric) with the axis of the cam.  This is typically measured with the cam in a lathe or cam grinder that can hold the cam on center.  However, I have seen the term used to indicate cam bend as well, this is typically measured with the end journals supported on a set of v-blocks and dial indicator used to measure the center journals while it is spun by hand, see image below.

Cam bend can be fixed with a press, or believe it or not, a hammer and chisel.  Incorrectly machined or worn journals are a bit more difficult to repair.

Depending on the engine we are building (Large Diesels with a much longer camshaft than an FE), we do not allow more than 0.003" of bend or 0.003" of runout, so your cam would get pulled off line and sent to rework here.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 01:04:44 PM by FrozenMerc »

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 05:49:08 PM »
OP-
Was the camshaft shipped Fed-Ex at any point?

Based on my experiences, that would explain it...

But yeah, more info needed.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 09:30:01 PM »
i did not check the cam, the machine shop did,so i dont know what or how it was checked.and yes,it was shipped after purchse from ebay lol.but a lot of cams get shipped without damage.so he needs to find another cam