Author Topic: Mickey Thompson aluminum hemi heads  (Read 1463 times)

hbstang

• View Profile
Mickey Thompson aluminum hemi heads
« on: September 02, 2021, 01:02:14 PM »
just a thought about these heads/intake.i know that 2 cars have them,64 t-bolt and the lite wieght galaxie,but who might have a set or know where there is a set?rumours,speculation?and how many were actually cast up.i have read 4 sets,but unknown of thats the case.one engine was on ebay in 2009 ,see link.
also,aleays wondered if a more conventional bbf heads could be reconfigured to work on an fe engine,now that there  blocks out there that could handle 1,000 plus HP.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/threads/427-ford-side-oiler-micky-thompson-hemi-heads.492037/

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Mickey Thompson aluminum hemi heads
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 02:20:51 PM »
The bore spacing is off for using 385 heads on an FE, so it would take a new design to use a compound angle valve on an FE.  You'd also need to look at pistons too.  If one really wanted something as exotic as a compound valve angle engine, then it makes more sense to run a 385 or Cleveland.  And if you want a hemi head, go with a Kasse Boss head on a 385 block. 

Wedge heads do pretty good.  If you are going with a max power deal, then hold out for one of Jay's new head design.  Still a wedge chamber but it makes a lot of horsepressure.

That's just my two cents.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »
How close are 392 Chrysler bore spacing to FE ? Aren't Micky's heads based on that ?

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »
Jay Cushman at Cushman Competition has some NOS ones, no idea how many he has. He might have more info on production figures. Here’s a screenshot from one of his Facebook posts.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
You probably want the real Mickeys, but if you just want a Hemi head on  a pushrod FE, it probably wound't be too crazy hard to adapt early Chrysler heads to fit. The bore spacing is about the same. You can buy them in aluminum from Hot Heads. Maybe he would sell them with the head bolt holes undrilled.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »
I'm not sure how you'd handle the pushrods on an FE block. The MT Hemi heads used segmented pushrods. By the time you get any hemi head to work on an FE block you'd probably be cash ahead going with a SOHC.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »
i think a t-bolt or galaxie is pretty cool as they are,but those heads would put it a in different class.a sohc would be nice to,but they are not any less money.at least ford did the sohc heads.
so,yes you could run those or a reconfiqured 385 head,but then it would lose something from being and fe.
Mickey Thompson was one heck of a racer,and did a lot for all the racing world.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 02:28:02 PM »
   It would be easier to use Jay's new head and probably make more power  more easily.
  Dan I have seen a picture of one (current) supercharged M/T Ford Hemi conversion. I don't think it runs though.