Author Topic: Bushings..... rubber... poly ... poly graphite eperience  (Read 1422 times)

winr1

Bushings..... rubber... poly ... poly graphite eperience
« on: April 26, 2021, 08:53:43 PM »
Curious as to others experience ...

A friend with a 65 F100 replaced all bushings with polyurethane bushings with the recommended grease

He said it rode a bit harsher ( lol ) and started to hear squeaks several months later

Have seen some kits come with a grease nipple ...
FESCJ's post got me thinkin..

Curious as I need to replace all the bushings on my 65 F100, found rear spring, radius rods, and axle bushings in rubber

All the others only poly or poly graphite...

On more than a few chevy forums, folks allowed the poly body mounts would crush and distort

The spring bushings would wallow out into an oval

A few Ford sites said not to use poly bushings on Mustang an such strut rods as they had no give and would damage the frame or such

Then there are Ford sites where they install adjustable heim joints ....

Ricky.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Bushings..... rubber... poly ... poly graphite eperience
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 05:08:15 PM »
There are different durometers of polyurethane and slightly difference makes up as well. They can be harder or softer than "rubber" bushings depending on what you order or make. A lot of times I just make my own, you can buy polyurethane stock pretty inexpensively and it cuts easy.

Typically you don't want to use regular lithium complex "bearing and chassis" grease with poly bushings as most types will cause the poly to soften dramatically. The specialty grease they sell for it or a silicon or moly based grease won't hard the poly and it keeps the squeaks down to a dull roar. Just my experience tho, I've heard a lot of other stuff over time but the above has worked for me.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 05:36:16 PM »
Restored my dads 67 RS Camaro (Sorry) with the poly bushings didnt have any squeeks but it did rid alittle hard.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 06:34:38 PM »
Rubber works.  The marketing for poly bushings leads you to believe your chassis is all woozy with rubber.  Well, the rubber is pretty hard and the parts don't move around all that much.  If this is a track car, then sure, you would run solid stuff.  I have one car I did in poly.  I can't say I noticed any difference whatsoever over rubber.  I guess I never drove it hard enough.  When I did my Fairlane, I went with rubber.  Again, rubber works.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 06:58:15 PM »
I think intended use might play here.
For my 68 Galaxie I wanted a firmer ride.
The stock suspension bushings were all replaced with polyurethane bushings.
Upper and lower front control arms and sway bar - also rear upper, lower links and panhard bar bushings.
What a noticeable change - for the better.
I don't put many miles a year - there have been no squeaks or noise whatsoever.

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:08:46 PM by 1968galaxie »

winr1

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 08:40:21 PM »
Thanks yall

I drive it very few miles now and lightening it as much as I can

Just need something to work on and dont want to drive it if I cant modify it ....

Ricky.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 09:09:26 PM »
Late but....

All poly-graphite here and zero squeaks over 26 years later (!) on my '70 Mach 1. OEM rubber type on the struts as you noted many said that may lead to a snapped strut rod. I do think though that in the few cases of failure, they were old and heavily used rods that broke. New ones, I'll venture not so much. I like the all-metal joints but hey, that's race car stuff.

A downside btw of my roller-bearing spring perches (similar I'll bet to all-metal strut rods) is an annoying banging sound on tar strips endemic to my Illinois roads due to the need for some bearing clearance. Maybe better in Calli or FL with no frost heave and tar strips with resultant smooth roads but not so much here.
Bob Maag

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »
First, ANY new soft suspension parts will be better than the 50+ year old stuff originally installed at this point.
This means if you can only find "OEM rubber" it is good to go as long as it fits properly.

I have installed many different bushings over the years.
The stiffer poly bushings will provide a stiffer result than the OEM rubber.
There are various durometer bushings available, but you have to do a LOT of homework to get the right parts.

An example may work like this. Lower control arm bushings for your 1965 Mercury full size....best versions are the same as what Chevy used on thier 1987 IROC Camero lower control arm bushings.
Front sway bar bushing for the same car are best served by using the rear bushing as supplied for a 3/4 ton 1976 Camper Special with the 8100 GVWR rating.

Lots and lots and lots of searching to find the "right" parts in some instances.

Otherwise buy a kit and install the whole thing...or go piece by piece from the suto parts store if you can get it.

The bright colored poly bushings usually work okay, but they are often universal in scope and require fitting in many instances.
Plenty of bushings do NOT come with the inner or outer sleeve...and this sucks because if the car is old it usually has some issues with the sleeves.

The poly graphite bushings work well, and provide some self lubrication, but they can squeak and creak just like other poly bushings.

Mixing poly and rubber bushings usually results in deformed and quickly worn rubber bushings.

Adding grease to the poly bushings when installing works great. I make a nice grease from silicone grease and graphite and it works great, but just like ANY greased item the grease eventually wears away, dries up, or stopes working in some manner.

This means if you can get greasable bushings it will serve you better over the long haul, but greasing is not required.

Depending on the ride, look, and feel of the finished suspension work you desire will have a big factor in which bushings to choose.

If you put in a certain bushing and find you really hate those bushings....replace them with something else. Just because you put in new bushings does not mean you HAVE to keep them until they wear out too.

Last, the state of aftermarket parts is horrible these days. The once awesome MOOG and TRW suspension parts are no longer awesome...and some of them are almost pure crap.
In this regard I have found specialized makers seem to have better products.
Places like Energy Suspension have provided good results for me...other than the bright colors they sometimes only offer certain parts in.
Having a whole pile of bright red bushing in an othersie stock 60's car can look a bit off if you are picky.

winr1

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 01:41:58 PM »
Thanks yall !!

Ricky.