Author Topic: 526 SOHC rotating assembly  (Read 4084 times)

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
Re: 526 SOHC rotating assembly
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 12:38:54 AM »
That’s good to know.
If that’s the case I will stick to 4.375 to save $2000.
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »
That’s good to know.
If that’s the case I will stick to 4.375 to save $2000.

If you're wanting to go with a 4.375" RPM crank, you may want to pick up the phone and start asking around to see who has one.  A few months ago, I was ordering cranks and couldn't find squat from RPM.  His viewpoint at the time was that he didn't know what the tariffs were going to bring, so he wasn't placing orders with the factory in China.  As of then, he had little to zero FE cranks on the shelf to sell.

I don't feel that you need a billet crankshaft.  You do need a forged crank.  I order custom forged cranks from Scat and they will pretty much make anything you want.  I know they will make 4.375" stroke pieces and I don't see why they can't cut you something a little longer.  The price would be a couple hairs under the $2k mark if you're going through an engine builder that's direct with Scat.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 09:56:28 AM »
IF I were in your shoes....

Call Joe at Denbeste Motorsports/Shelby Engine Company, have him build up the whole bottom end. He'll get the rods, he'll get the pistons, he'll get the crank. As long as you're going with the Shelby block, may as well keep that stuff under one roof. They'll do all the prep work on the block and you'll be ready to go.

We did this 5-6 years back with our drag car engine. Called just to buy a block and ended up having them do the bottom end. After you source the rods, source the pistons, source the crank, find a local machine shop to do all the final prep work etc etc..... I think you'll find it's faster/cheaper/less brain damage to have Joe do it.

I'm headed to the shop tomorrow to do some bead blasting, I'll try and pull the Shelby SOHC block off the rack and get you some pictures of what they look like. Give you some motorvation.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 10:58:38 AM »
IF I were in your shoes....

Call Joe at Denbeste Motorsports/Shelby Engine Company, have him build up the whole bottom end. He'll get the rods, he'll get the pistons, he'll get the crank. As long as you're going with the Shelby block, may as well keep that stuff under one roof. They'll do all the prep work on the block and you'll be ready to go.

We did this 5-6 years back with our drag car engine. Called just to buy a block and ended up having them do the bottom end. After you source the rods, source the pistons, source the crank, find a local machine shop to do all the final prep work etc etc..... I think you'll find it's faster/cheaper/less brain damage to have Joe do it.

I'm headed to the shop tomorrow to do some bead blasting, I'll try and pull the Shelby SOHC block off the rack and get you some pictures of what they look like. Give you some motorvation.

That's a good idea....let someone else carry the hassle. 

I would even venture to suggest letting one of the builders on this forum get the bid since information has been passed freely here.   I'm not in the mood to do any aluminum stuff but I'm sure Barry and Blair would do an excellent job.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
I’m still about 6 months from starting the build. But when I do I will definitely be talking to the builders in this forum.  And I’m going to take mbrunson427’s advise and have a builder familiar with aluminum FE’s inspect/machine/balance/setup the bottom end.

ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)