Author Topic: OK, What the Heck is this?  (Read 4358 times)

FElony

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: OK, What the Heck is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
Super cool is what that is! Otherwise, I don't have a clue.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
It’s something I have wanted for the past few years. Think they’re called a Carry-all.
Can’t get ‘em here but iirc Mexico and southward. Maybe just South America, can’t remember.
If you like unobtainium this is cool.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
Have seen similar ones posted that were 67-72 vintage.
If you have a truck and a bronco, I don't see the problem putting them together and making something like that.

https://jalopnik.com/the-mexican-market-ford-b-100-is-the-three-door-ford-f-1825191099
Larry

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
I've seen them a couple times too on videos I've watched and pictures of off-road racing in Mexico. Good chance it came up from south of the border. I think they're cool too. If nothing else you should investigate it for us and try to get the data tag info from the door. Wonder if you can get a Marti report on it?
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
 F100 with the human trafficking package. I've seen a few around western CO. They're definitely a south of the border deal. They first time I saw one, I would have bet money it was an International Travelall with a Ford front clip. Kinda cool. Wow that price is out of line though...
Kevin McCullah

FElony

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
So, the Mexican gentleman that's selling it brought it up from Mexico four years ago. Still has the Chihuahua plate on front, but has AZ title and plate on rear. Powered by 302 (Mexican block?) and a 4-speed manual with 40k original miles. The truck is about 50 miles from me in central PHX. Is going to send me more pictures this afternoon including the data tag. Has some interest, but nobody actually showing up yet. He is flexible on the price, and actually offered to drive it all the way out here for me to look at! Hmm. Not that anyone needs to see what's parked around here, but that offer was cool, and it shows me he is hot to sell. He'd have to come way down, though.

Hey, if I get it, I can V8 the Pinto, pull the 2nd and 3rd seats, throw it in through the barn doors, and haul it to the track. Me no need no steenking trailer.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »
F100 with the human trafficking package. I've seen a few around western CO. They're definitely a south of the border deal. They first time I saw one, I would have bet money it was an International Travelall with a Ford front clip. Kinda cool. Wow that price is out of line though...

Seller quoted some fairly low production numbers and whatnot, so he has done his homework. As to value, I have no reference for something like this. However, if you've been watching Craigslist regularly, you've seen "clean" trucks take a hike in price over the last few years. I think this would make a cooler tow vehicle than the trucks I have now. Can put tools and tires in the back without risk. And, I can neener neener Suburban owners. We'll see; not jumpin' too much. Would need an engine swap. I wonder where I can find a 390 or similar?

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:29:28 PM »

Seller quoted some fairly low production numbers and whatnot, so he has done his homework. As to value, I have no reference for something like this.

The fact that it's rare does not make it valuable. There's plenty of them south of the border still. I guess you have to look at from a supply standpoint.
 Perhaps the guy would be interested in a low mileage Pinto as trading stock?
Kevin McCullah

FElony

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »

Seller quoted some fairly low production numbers and whatnot, so he has done his homework. As to value, I have no reference for something like this.

The fact that it's rare does not make it valuable. There's plenty of them south of the border still. I guess you have to look at from a supply standpoint.
 Perhaps the guy would be interested in a low mileage Pinto as trading stock?

May be plenty down there, but what shape are they in? He sent me pics of the interior, which looks darn near showroom fresh. No chicken coops or dead cartel victims. Still waiting on shots of the VIN and engine bay.

He's also got a Nissan PU for sale, and I think the Mustang you see there is for sale. So, I'll call him a flipper.

chris401

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/ford-iga/6691934929.html
I saw one up close in Reynosa back in 2002. It was weathered but straight and taken care of. They are about the size of a Yukon but with the dent side cool factor that is all the comparison I can see. Between my busted spanish and the owners limited english I got that they all had (or all he had seen ) 302's with an auto or manual option.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 01:47:31 AM »
I just noticed it only had 3 doors. I like it even more that way. And that drivers side 2nd window looks odd, like it opens out. And the rear bumper looks like it's mounted really odd. It'd be interesting to see more detailed pictures of it, especially the rear interior area and rear door setup. Being up north, I never see any vehicles that were imported from Mexico.

I think trucks have taken a huge jump because even newer used up models bring stupid prices; so that has brought up the prices of cool older models that still have lots of use left in them. In fact, they'd probably still outlast newer trucks, and you can actually work on the darn things.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Looking at passenger side & blowing up pics it looks like it is hit in rear. Right rear corner panel looks crushed from side. I would like to see a pic from rear. We replaced a lot of dent side cab corners, just don't look right. Cool truck though.
Woody

FElony

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »
Looking at passenger side & blowing up pics it looks like it is hit in rear. Right rear corner panel looks crushed from side. I would like to see a pic from rear. We replaced a lot of dent side cab corners, just don't look right. Cool truck though.

Yes, I had not looked closely at that corner, but you are right. Something looks a little askew. This morning I called Ricardo to see where the other pics were. He said he forgot and promised to send them this afternoon, which did not happen. I touched lightly on the price point, but he did not say much about it. He did, however, offer to meet me at the Scottsdale Pavilions, which is our major weekly cruise-in, tonight. I was a tad surprised he knew about that place. Would be a good place for a seller to take something like that. I declined as I had to work all day, and I was beat by the time I got home. So, right now I would say the situation is stalled. He might find a buyer up there. More power to him, as there is a wide gap between his asking price and what I would pay.

I asked if the seats had been reupholstered because of their appearance. This led to the back story on the Ford. He was a resident of Chihuahua, and lived down the street from this truck, which belonged to an older man and his wife, and was garage kept throughout its life. He said he saw it regularly parked in there driving to and fro. At one point the owner passed away, and the widow kept the truck for over 20 years parked in the garage, refusing to sell it to anyone. Apparently, four years ago she relented (probably because she wasn't getting any younger herself) and sold the truck to Ricardo. There were not any children carted around in this, hence the cherry insides.

Upon transfer to the Phoenix city area, the truck was smogged, and he purchased our copper-colored Antique Vehicle license plate. It has not been used to shuttle anyone around here, either. He said the 302 is a smooth, reliable driver. He does not buy and sell cars, but he does consider this vehicle a rarity, hence the price. An occasional driver which now has 40k on the clock; you can imagine how low the mileage was when he got it.

He quotes 10-15 thousand of this model total production out of the factory in Mexico, wherever that may be. I really can't imagine one in much better shape. However, I am not enough of a truck freak to jump on this for 18 grand or anywhere near it. Of course, I've already done the mental gymnastics of putting a turbo on it (has anyone mentioned that Flowtech just released forward and down SBF turbo-specific headers in two sized and finishes at a nice price?) and then an FE swap, and then a turbo on the FE. Of course.

Anyway, we'll see. If he cashes in on it, then good for him and good for the buyer. He sent me the pics from the ad as well as the interior shots. At some point I'll have to get another image hosting account to replace the Photobucket fiasco I had. I cannot recall if this site will host pics, or if there are size limitations.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2018, 11:47:35 PM »
An update for anyone interested. Earlier today I received pics of the door data tag and the truck capacity tag. This confirms it as a model B100 "Made in Mexico". The VIN coding is different from ours, and there is no clear indication of model year. PBV (GVW) is listed at 2500kg, or 5500 lbs. If you look at the ad, you see rectangular emblems on either fender. A closeup pic of these shows the Ford logo, followed by Productos Automotrices, S.A. (South America). Under that is Chihuahua, Chih. (Capital city of the state). Incredibly, these tags appear to be paper and still intact.

Further homework shows that Ford is still heavily vested in Chihuahua with three plants there.

Here is a KC Paint video where the owner is looking to sell his beater (relatively) B-100 that somebody slapped F-150 badges on. After the 5 minute mark, he washes the truck, and there is a lot of great walkaround footage, where we see the detail of the rear doors and the engine compartment. Looking at the front of the truck in the ad, we see a push bar that mounts though the front bumper, which I figured to be an add-on. Now look at KC's front end in the car wash, and look at the weld-up repair on that bumper. Factory option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWJ3FKq3pk