Author Topic: epoxy on intake?  (Read 8188 times)

NewFalconOwner

epoxy on intake?
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:39:09 AM »
im building a fuel injection intake from a tunnel ram,, and my friends dad said he would tig in my injector bungs for me.. Well, he really melted up the bungs and near melted my intake and used a stone to grind down the intake. in some spots. Anyways,, would epoxy of some kind help me save my intake and use the epoxy to install the injector bungs and would the bungs stay put? Ive read that JB Weld gas proof stuff works but is there a better 2 part that works on alum intake/bungs that I wont be stressing over?

Joe-JDC

Re: epoxy on intake?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »
Bungs need to be welded, but you can epoxy around the welding and dress it up if you are worried about leaks or looks.  If it was melted to the point that the O-rings do not seal properly or seat fully, then the bung needs to be removed and another one welded in place.  That needs a jig to hold them in place so that all fit the same, or you will need individual hold down clamps.  Joe-JDC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
Moroso makes a 2 part epoxy that is the consistency of modeling clay, and that can be used on intakes and heads.  If you use it inside a runner be very, very careful that you rough up the surface as much as possible, and clean it very thoroughly before you apply the epoxy; maybe even drill some holes so the epoxy lump has something to grab onto.  You don't want the epoxy breaking off and going down the port, obviously.  On the outside of the manifold this would be much less of a problem, of course.  If your problem is at the injector bungs and, as Joe said, you will still be able to seal with the O-ring on the injector, then the Moroso stuff would probably work fine.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
im going to practice up my tig skills at work,, sux the guy screwed up,, guess he wasn't as good as he used to be. I do need new bungs.. I spent time on the intake today at work and repaired what needed to be fixed, so when I get my bungs I will hopefully beable to tig them in myself.

thanx

fe66comet

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
Send it to someone who does that. It costs under a couple hundred bucks and it is done right. They can also build the custom drilled fuel rails you are going to need. There is no way to halfway , sort of make it work, the injectors need to be at the same height and angle and the rails need to be drilled exactly on center or you will have a nice big barbeque  grill.

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »
yeah I sent it to someone that DOES TIG,, look how that turned out.. its all under control now, thanx.. you can delete this post Jay, thanx

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
heres the intake I built..The rails were drill by someone that knows what he's doing. The rest I did. I will TIG it myself after I refresh up my skills abit.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
I have Willie fixture and drill the bung locations on the Bridgeport with almost a zero press fit.  We can usually push them into position with fingertips.  Then I take them over to Marcella to TIG weld 'em.  I trust myself to do none of this - cuz everytime I try it they're all on weird angles and the welds look like old Juicy Fruit.

BTW - if the machining was done the way Willie does it - with a register for the bung to push into and then stop - I'd wager that epoxy would work perfectly well to hold them in and seal them.  More critical is the rail mounting brackets.  Having one of those come loose is very, very bad.

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
the bungs are a snug fit, and straight with the rails. I will practice up and then go from there,, cant do any worse then the guy I got to do it lol

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:33:22 AM »
That's disappointing to hear.
The intake was really taking shape. Very interesting idea.
Maybe bring it by the shed and I will see if I have a magic potion to help it out.
Can't guarantee speedy work though, but you know that.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 05:27:51 AM »
Contemplating similar as I have been throwing around efi options in my own head for a while. I actually thought about making my own bungs with a pipe thread on them and tapping the manifold. Then screwing them into place with epoxy.

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 07:02:27 AM »
i managed to weld it myself at work. I did one side already. I used the spool gun on most of it, and JB Weld the rest after i filed the welds down abit and gave it some shape.. Need to get 4 more tubes and should be good to go

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 05:30:30 AM »
intake is bead blasted and painted.. still have one side tubes to weld in, but Im really liking this

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »
Looks great!  Looking forward to hearing how it all works out on the engine...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

NewFalconOwner

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 07:16:55 AM »
thanx Jay.. hopefully it does your adapter well :). I still need the harness, new throttle bosy and injectors, but hopefully get stuff soon