Author Topic: Have you ever had one of those days???  (Read 1375 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Have you ever had one of those days???
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:35:26 PM »
I recently had two sets of iron heads ported, bought new 5/16" stem valves, installed 5/16 bronze guides, etc., and took the heads to the local machine shop that I have been using for 30+years, and asked for guides honed, cut intake valves down to 1.900", and do a multi-angle valve job, PC seals, etc.,  Got the heads back after paying more for cutting the valves down than it would have cost for custom valves,  and went to lap the valves in, but would not lap.  The seat was at the extreme outer edge of the valve, and less than .005" wide.  Got my valve grind set out and started to double check the seats, and found they had cut the seats for 1.940", and then cut the valves down to my requested 1.900".  It has been over 90 days, so guess what?  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Gregwill16

• View Profile
Re: Have you ever had one of those days???
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »
Sorry to hear that Joe. I would think 30+ years of business would at least be worth a set of valves, even though that wasn't your plan.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 09:04:20 PM »
I’ve had those days where everything I touched turn to crap..... my version of the King Midas touch!!

If I have dealt with someone for more than 30 years and can show a receipt or work request for the completed work, I would need them to explain why the valve seats would be cut different than the valves. I would want to hear that logic. I would be asking with parts in hand on day 1 after I took them home or day whatever that I found it. The 90 days shouldn’t matter if they have marked tour heads to show they’ve worked on them and you haven’t made any changes.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

winr1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 10:06:55 PM »
Darn ..... have had more than a few of those days...

What is the fix  ?? ....... larger valves ??

Ricky.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 05:33:25 AM »
Yes, yesterday. Will cost a grand to fix my screw up.
Woody