Author Topic: Minor refresh of my 390....  (Read 12514 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Minor refresh of my 390....
« on: April 15, 2015, 02:17:04 AM »
I'm pulling the 390 Super Marauder out of my '68 F-250 4wd to put in my '70 F-350 dumptruck, hopefully to make the tow/haul to Beaver Springs here in one week. The original 100,000 mile 360 is an "unknown" as far as reliability goes and I don't want to chance taking it through the mountains of Pennsylvania hauling my Mach 1. I know this won't be very exciting compared to most stuff on here but I thought I'd show it for a couple of reasons.

First, I built this engine 20 years ago. It's the longest I've ever had an engine together and remain untouched since the day I did it. Besides adjusting the valves about 1/2 a dozen times the first few years, and getting tired of pulling the covers for nothing after the first couple of adjustments, I quit and haven't had them off, or needed to, in the past 15 years. And besides the original starter, which I had to replace after about a year, I have not done one single thing to the engine beyond replacing the wires once and adjusting the points a couple of times. It has an MSD Blaster ignition that is triggered by the points, and they have been in the truck the whole 20 years. Same goes for the plugs, same ones for 20 years. It has literally been the most dead-nuts reliable engine I have ever had and has been through a lifetime or two of hard work and lots of play. I thought it might be interesting to see how things have held up after all the years and abuse it's been through.

Second, I'm going to do a minor, and very quick, refresh of the bearings, gaskets and replace the intake with an Edelbrock RPM. The engine has never made a noise, but I figure after this long it deserves new bearings and a better intake. She's earned it :)

Quick background, the engine is a Super Marauder out of a '64 Mercury Monterey. It had the extra webbing and crossbolt nibs with thick cylinder walls, so I figured it was basically a left over 406 block or something cast using their performance block molds at the least. Either way, it is a stout block. I lightly ported the C4 heads, stuck a solid lifter Crane cam in it (mid .5s on lift) with blocked lifter passages, Crane hollow shell lifters (no longer available) with Crane pushrods, stock type adjustable rockers with Crane jam nuts on stock shafts with iron stands and no end stands, a Melling high volume oil pump with a HD shaft, a 750 Holley dual inlet center pivot carb and a set of Hedman headers running through a 2 1/2" custom exhaust with Edelbrock Crossflow mufflers, also no longer available.

The truck body is wasted from 21 years of Ohio winters and salt, and led it's previous farm life in Michigan. How it's lasted this long is beyond me. The hood mounting points on the inner fenderwells let go several years ago and the last 2 years I literally had a ratchet strap stretched across from front fenderwell to fenderwell to hold the hood on. :o

The starting point, after sitting the last year due to a busted brake line. It wasn't worth fixing at that point.

The engine looks remarkably good for how long it's been in there, and having NEVER been garaged. Mostly due to a healthy coat of DP40 Epoxy primer before painting. Now banned due to toxicity. ::)

After a few hours cutting with a torch. I figured it would be MUCH easier to do it this way, and nothing is worth saving.

Yep, MUCH easier to do it this way!

So far I've been amazed at how good everything looks. The paint is still holding up and except for the front timing cover there is only minor seepage at a few spots on the engine. The rocker system still looks great and there is NO sludge buildup in the heads, and that's with no PCV and just a rear breather on the intake. Regular 10w-30 oil changes probably helped, as did letting the engine fully warm up 95% of the time.

I think what surprised me the most is the clutch, which shows little material wear despite the pilot bearing being worn fairly badly and the flywheel showing some heat marks. I often rode the clutch when doing heavy pulling jobs, like pulling over trees so they didn't fall towards a house or building. I treated this thing like a tractor. ::)

As you can see, there was literally nothing holding the hood on! :o

I really hate to say goodbye to this truck, but I'll salvage the drivetrain, which has a somewhat rare large knuckle Dana 44 6BF-HD front axle with a locked center. This thing was a brute! It was a Special Order DSO destined for a hard life on a farm. In my experience, there never has been and never will be a better stronger truck made than the '67-'72 bumpsides. There's a reason Ak Miller was winning Baja races with these things!

Today I'll be cleaning the engine up and pulling the pan to check bearings and prepping it for a quicky paint job, fresh gaskets and some new hardware, as well as getting the 360 ready to pull in the F-350.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:05:38 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Minor refresh of my 390....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:31:07 AM »
It's a shame to have to let it go.
Sometimes they are  just to rusty.
Anyways good luck on the swap and may the wrench deities be with you.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »
Its really cool to see a truck like that which has hung in there that long.  The old 3/4 ton 4X4s were great vehicles; I had a friend back in the day that had a '72, and that thing would do anything you asked of it.  Maybe you can find yourself a nice clean one some day, and swap in all the drivetrain stuff... 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »
Wow, the inside of that engine is c-l-e-a-n! Nice and I'd guess the warm-ups helped a lot as did oil changes.
Any estimate of running time in 20 years? Mileage may be low if you only used it locally.

Not surprised by the little worn clutch disc. Bet 1st gear x rear end gear is a really high overall ratio, hence little true clutch slippage.
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »
15 years and no valve adjustment needed.
Thats something for those who belive in
the myth that mec. cams needing constant
 adjustment

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
Actually, it's not a myth if you've worked on 1st gen SBC's when they still used the ball/sled rockers and BBC's which still use the same system even today.  I think that Ford's rocker shaft system and the interference fit adjusters are what makes valve adjustment, unlike the GM stuff, highly stable and resistant to regular lash checks.

Just ask any BBC user today IF they aren't using a Moroso-style rocker stud stabilizer bar system and have retained the factory set-up.   
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
Well i should have said the myth that you cant build engines
with mecanical cams that not need constant adjustment.
Almost all european cars had mecanical cams until about 10
15 years ago.
And no one needed to adjust them constantly.
If you had to there was something wrong
Volvo used a scaled down copy of the FE system on the
B18/B20 that came out in 62 thats more or less a scaled down
half FE. Even use the same oilfilter
But now im hijacking .....

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »
Maybe you can find yourself a nice clean one some day, and swap in all the drivetrain stuff...

Yeah, I won't be happy until I can replace it. The drivetrain is all still good. I redid the axles with bearings and seals and all new U-joints when I did the engine. I'll get another one, but I'll never be able to replace it. :(

Any estimate of running time in 20 years? Mileage may be low if you only used it locally.

Not surprised by the little worn clutch disc. Bet 1st gear x rear end gear is a really high overall ratio, hence little true clutch slippage.

Bob, you couldn't be more wrong...lol  This was my daily driver for about 15 years. It's been everywhere including multiple family camping vacations out of the state, numerous long distance hauls to transport old cars/trucks, to work and back 30 miles daily for years, hauling wood yearly, etc etc. The speedometer quit working a few years after I got it, but I'd conservatively guesstimate that I put about 65-70,000 miles on it. It's probably pushing 150,000 as a total on the truck.

Camping in Kentucky...

Busting snow drifts up to the grille was no problem...

I never plowed snow with it, but I did plow a lady that turned in front of me once ???
It totaled her car, and besides pushing my 4" well casing front bumper back a bit on one side, the truck was fine and I drove it home. Look at this picture closely and you can see a mouse nest that got knocked out of my passenger door from the big rust hole at the bottom. ;D ;D ;D

What the engine looked like when I finished it. Maybe I should have titled this thread "In memorial of my '68 F-250". ;D Sadly, I've lost most of the early pictures I had of it, when it was all one color, due to computer crashes, before I learned to back up stuff on an external hard drive.

15 years and no valve adjustment needed.
Thats something for those who belive in
the myth that mec. cams needing constant
 adjustment

Heo, as far as FEs are concerned, you're absolutely right. After a couple of initial adjustments, you typically never have to touch them again on most street or street/strip engines.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:13 PM »
Then, you win the toughest clutch disc of the century award!  ;)
Bob Maag

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
Hey Doug,
Cool story on the truck. What happened to the pics? Was you reported to the moderator for the emotional torture of seeing the truck cut up with the torch?  :o
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »
John, I don't know, they're still there for me. I was changing the size earlier so maybe you caught it when I was in the middle of that? They should be there.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:38 AM »
Really dig the picture of the truck in the snow - that's how I remember those things getting used!

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 05:57:49 AM »
I'm not seeing the first series of pictures either?
But I can see the snow pic "ugh" and the smash up.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »
I had moved the pictures to an album in Photobucket and it broke the link. Fixed now.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »
I'm surprised you got away with running a front sump oil pan. Didn't catch enough air for the Dana 44 to kiss it I guess.  ;) Did you slot the header flanges to get them to fit the early exhaust ports? 
Kevin McCullah